This take on beer and cheese soup combines baby Swiss cheese with white cheddar, fresh popped popcorn tossed in brown butter, candied bacon and homemade pretzels.
Beer & Cheese Soup with Brown Butter Popcorn, Candied Bacon and Homemade Pretzels
Chef and a Baker: Chef and a Baker
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 6 pack of any kind of lager or pale ale
- 1 pound of butter
- 3 large rough diced yellow onions
- 5 pounds of shredded white cheddar
- 5 pounds of shredded baby Swiss
- 3 gallons of milk, whole milk
- 1 pint of chicken stock
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- Juice of 3 lemons or 2 Tablespoons of unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon of Colemans mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne powder
- 1 cup of brown butter
- 3 pieces of bacon
- 1 teaspoon of maple sugar
- Fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon of Spanish Paprika
- Sweat onions in butter until translucent
- Add three bottles of beer and chicken stock, After onions have absorbed chicken stock and beer add milk. Using a bowl toss the shredded cheese with flour until well combined.
- You'll need a small hand blender or immersion blender to mix the cheese as you add it to your base. Blend well making it nice and creamy to remove any chunks from the cheese melted in there with the onion.
- Season with salt, the juice of three lemons, apple cider vinegar, mustard powder, cayenne and taste until it's awesome.
- Add the remaining beer and simmer.
- Garnish with fresh popped popcorn tossed with brown butter, candied bacon (use maple sugar on the bacon and cut into small dices) garnish with fresh chives and a little paprika for color.