These ladyfingers are soaked with espresso and layered with a light, airy cream filling of marscapone cheese and Grand Marnier brandy.
A salted caramel sauce rounds this dessert out elevating it to not just another run of the mill tiramisu.
Tiramisu with Salted Caramel Sauce
These ladyfingers are soaked with espresso and layered with a light, airy cream filling of marscapone cheese and Grand Marnier brandy. A salted caramel sauce rounds this dessert out elevating it to not just another run of the mill tiramisu.
Chef and a Baker: Chef and a Baker
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier Brandy
- 1 and ½ cups espresso or STRONG coffee at room temperature – sweetened if desired
- 1 package Lady Fingers (Savoiardi brand)
- Cocoa powder for dusting the top
- Rough chopped espresso beans
- Salted Caramel Sauce:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- Combine espresso, 2 tablespoons of Grand Marnier, vanilla extract and a tablespoon of the sugar in a wide bowl.
- Vigorously whisk egg yolks, 2 tablespoons of Grand Marnier and 3 tablespoons of sugar in a bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water until tripled in volume, 5 to 8 minutes. To make this step easier, use a handheld electric mixer at medium speed. (Do not stop beating until removed from the heat).
- Remove the bowl from heat then beat in mascarpone cheese until just combined.
- Whip cream in a bowl until it holds stiff peaks. Once the yolk-mascarpone mixture has cooled a little, gently fold in half of the whipped cream into the yolk-mascarpone mixture, then the remaining half just until fully incorporated (the whipped cream will deflate a little).
- Dip half of the ladyfingers very quickly into the coffee, and line the bottom of a 9-inch square dish. (You might find that you need to break a few into pieces to fit them in the dish).
- Spoon half of the mascarpone filling over the lady fingers and spread into an even layer. Grate half of the bittersweet chocolate over filling. Then dip the remaining ladyfingers very quickly into the coffee and arrange a second layer over filling.
- Spoon remaining mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers. Grate more chocolate on top or dust with cocoa powder. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 6 hours.
- When ready to serve, dust with more grated chocolate or cocoa powder. Leave out at room temperature about 20 minutes before serving. (Tiramisu can be chilled up to 2 days, but no longer or else the ladyfingers will break down and become mushy).
- Salted Caramel Sauce:
- In a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat, combine the sugar with ¼ cup cold water and stir to combine. Cook, without stirring, until the sugar has turned a deep amber hue, approximately 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm the cream in a small saucepan. When the caramel is ready, slowly whisk in the warm cream and continue simmering the mixture until it is smooth, another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, then whisk in the butter, and then the salt, to taste. Serve warm.