Late March and fresh halibut is in season and plentiful.
This dish is a yuzu~citrus marinated seared halibut filet. It has a wild rice pilaf, butter basted, grilled Napa cabbage and a ginger mango gastrique.
The yuzu [YOO-zoo] is a Japanese citrus fruit which is about the size of a tangerine and is quite sour. Yuzu is the most popular of all citrus fruits in Japan and is found fresh in Japan throughout the spring months.
Yuzu~Citrus Marinated Wild Alaskan Halibut
This dish is a yuzu~citrus marinated seared halibut filet.It has a wild rice pilaf, butter basted, grilled Napa cabbage and a ginger mango gastrique.
Chef and a Baker: Chef and a Baker
Recipe type: Main
- Fresh Halibut filet 5-7 ounces
- 2 Cups Wild rice
- 1 Napa Cabbage, cored, quartered and outer layers removed
- Yuzu Marinade:
- ½ Cup Yuzu juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup coarsely chopped mango
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Grand Mariner
- Roll Halibut in the yuzu marinade, season liberally with salt and pepper and hard sear halibut filet.
- Steam cabbage for a few minutes until pliable, brush with brown butter and season with S&P.
- Put on grill and get a colorful char.
- Make wild rice in rice cooker, when completed mix rice vinegar and scallions into rice.
- Make gastrique by combining all ingredients into pot, reduce and intensify flavor, when you've reached your desired flavor, slurry the gastrique until a thick consistency.